Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Weekend of Incredible Food

Walnut Gorgonzola Saturday Night and Tempeh Shepherds Pie tonight...

I seriously hope you guys like pictures...

Well, it turned out to be a weekend of unbelievable food for this foodie. As you know, last night we dined at an incredible Italian eatery in South Park.

Tonight, we met up with some friends at Stone Brewery in Escondido. When we pulled up, we were a little skeptical. It was out in the middle of nowhere and the building didn't even have a sign.

But, this place was simply amazing.

We had to wait two hours to get a table (there was 9 of us). But, there was so much to do while we waited. Of course, Ryan and I started off by taking pictures.









I  have a really bad habit of talking when someone's about to snap a pic.








Jess considers beer drinking a very spiritual matter. :p



Oh ya, wait, this is a food blog, right?

Food!



The menu was really funny. I love a restaurant with a funky sense of humor. Quirky menu writers suggest a creative spirit is prized by the establishment. That usually translates into fantastic meals. I was not disappointed.


Instead of "Appetizers," it says "Things You May Want to Eat Before You Eat Something Else."


"Things You Could Eat After Something Else or Maybe by Themselves."



You know I don't drink, but I tasted this cider and it was actually amazing. I still had only two sips, though.


Hummus Platter. I had two and a half pieces w/hummus.


Coconut Porter. I didn't taste this, but I thought it was cool.


This is Jess' Mac n Cheese. She took a pic for the blog. :)


I ordered the Tempeh Shepherd's Pie. It came with a salad.

This was my first experience with Tempeh. Fantastic!!! This dish was very spicy, almost meaty. I really enjoyed the small chunks of vegetables throughout the pie. The "meat" and veggies were topped with a thin layer of mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of cheese. They also offered a vegan option. I would definitely order this again.

Other meals at the table included Chicken Tikka Masala, Duck Tacos, and Red Pepper - Butternut Squash Soup. I didn't hear any complaints about anything.

After dinner, I really wanted to order the bread pudding. But, honestly, this has been an entire weekend of rich food. I passed on the pudding.

However, Jess and Christina did not pass... 



They offered me a couple bites... Seriously, what's a girl to do? I had maybe four good bites.

I'm about to settle down for the night. It's been a busy weekend, and I feel like I need another weekend! I hope you all have an amazing Monday!!!

What's your favorite dessert?


12 comments:

  1. I haven't had tempeh in a while. I used to use it in curry. This is back when I still used mixes to make curry. Perhaps I'll have to try one of my coconut milk curries with tempeh. I bet it would be good. You're such good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh what a yummy looking meal! And fun with friends too!! Lovely pictures!

    I had a bite of my roommate's tempeh this week. I really like the texture.
    Oh goodness, I am a dessert fiend! That one looks to die for!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed the tempheh. I really like to cook with it too. I think one of my favorite desserts would be tiramisu or something strawberry related.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiramisu. Haven't had it in a couple years. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to see tempeh on a menu as opposed to tofu. The fermentation of the soy beans creates enzymes that aid digestion -- a benefit you don't get from tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how they wrote the menu. I'd totally enjoy a place like that. And my favorite desserts include anything with lots of chocolate, syrup, and caramel on it. I love reading your blog entries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anything chocolate makes me a happy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun night! Glad we finally got to make it happen. That tempeh wasn't bad. A little bit on the spicy side but still nice. I can't believe you didn't like my beer mac n' cheese. Oh well!

    What is Char talking about... tiramisu? That was no where on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think it's possible for me to pick a favorite dessert! But that tempeh shepherd's pie looks droolicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You spoilt us with photographs today - LOVE it all! My favourite dessert would probably be some kind of chocolate brownie or oat flapjack. 85% dark chocolate is nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat restaurant! I should give tempeh another try, I had it years ago and was not a fan and haven't had it since. Although maybe I should get it in a restaurant where someone knows how to prepare it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tempeh is really good with BBQ sauce.

    Girl, that mac and cheese and shepherd's pie look AWESOME! Wish I could go there.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!