Thursday, February 4, 2010

Turkey Taco Thursday


Can you believe it's almost Friday?...

Where did the week go?!?

It seems like days just rush by anymore. The older you get, the more you have to do, and the more you have to do, the faster life goes. It seems like I'm getting to a point in my life where I can truly appreciate the moments, not just the big picture. But, I feel like those moments are so fleeting. I'm married now (well, I've been married before, buy that was just practice). Soon, we'll have babies, then they'll be kids, and then teenagers. Before you know it, you're a grandparents, and then... what?... Life is so beautiful, and by the time you realize that, almost 30 years have already gone by. How does that happen?!

Am I the only person that thinks about this stuff or what? :D

Tonight, I did a hard 45 on the upright bike at the gym. Then, we came home and I made Turkey Tacos.



To make Turkey Tacos, I use a taco seasoning packet. I could make it without, but honestly, it just saves me so much time.There's a variety of brands and flavors to choose from, and they're super quick. I usually by a low sodium seasoning packet. Tonight, I used an old favorite, McCormick's Cheesy Taco. It's a higher calorie one, so we use it rarely. It sure is tasty, though.

We mix up our taco fixings by putting half of the fridge out on the counter and choosing whatever calls to us. The bananas were not considered part of the fixings. :)



Tonight, I had Smart Balance Sour Cream (This is new, and I had a coupon. It's okay. I prefer yogurt, actually.)...



Meat, lettuce, and chopped tomatoes...







After dinner, I finished the book I've been reading, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.
You've probably seen me reading it for a while.


It was... interesting.

It started out incredibly slow. I read half the book before I was at all interested in the storyline. The story is set during the Depression and follows a young almost-Cornell Grad named Jacob. His parents die in a tragic auto accident, and he literally runs away and joins the circus. Long story short, the circus owner is shady, Jacob falls in love with a crazy man's wife, and all hell breaks lose before the novel ends. It includes alot of twists and turns at the end that left me absolutely elated when I read the final page. I actually ran into the bedroom to tell Ryan how much I loved it. Yes, I get ridiculously excited about books.

So, I liked it. Alot, actually. It's an incredible book by a first-time writer. However, I do wish Gruen could have found the plot line a little sooner in the book because I have a feeling alot of people would quit reading. Which would be a shame, because in the end, it was a fabulous read!

Do you like to read? What do you read? Novels? Nonfiction? Memoirs? How-To?


12 comments:

  1. I haven't had a taco in forever and now I sooo want one! I LOVE books. I read water for elephants and really enjoyed it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get excited about books too. I just finished a great one called "The Help" that I've been recommending to anyone who will listen.

    My husband made our kids chicken tacos last night-much healthier than the beef version. BTW, I love your granite counters. Your kitchen looks really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your review of Water for Elephants. It was really slow-moving at the start and I almost didn't finish reading it. I'm glad I did though. It ended up to be a good read. Not GREAT, but Good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turkey tacos look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm nto much of a novel reader, I tend to read magazines as my attention span is so low! It's hard for me to sit still for very long...the taco looks great - usually we assemble at the table but I'm going to try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need a weekly taco night!
    My family read that book and really liked it (but we also have a Circus in our home-town which is why my Mom got it in the first place).
    Most of the books I read our food related, but I'm working on a goal of 1 "other" book every 1-2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm yummy tacos.
    I love to read, usually fiction (my fav book is The Lord of the Rings) but I also love read autobiographies.

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you read any books you think would interest me outside of Eat.Pray.Love, suggest away! I will have a lot of time while traveling to read in the next year xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE reading :) I normally read 1-2 books per week depending on how much time I have. I pretty much read a little bit of everything, both fiction and non-fiction. Right now I am reading 'The Closing of the Western Mind' (non-fiction) and a novel called 'The City at the End of Time' (sci-fi). I have a couple of novels by Margaret Atwood to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked Water for Elephants, too. I had the same impression the first half of it though and almost returned it before finishing up. Glad I stuck with it, it was good!

    Turkey tacos look YUMMY!!!!

    Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Loved that book. We read it a few months ago for my book club. I try to read a book a month that is not nutrition/cookbook related. It helps me escape reality for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love reading! I read a lot of crime novels, mysteries/thrillers and a few literary masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!