Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fiesta Chicken Recipe & Calorie Breakdown

I don't like Mexican food, but bring on the Tex-Mex...

When I first moved to San Diego, I worked for a Mexican-owned company. A few of us were standing in the kitchen one day talking about things we like to cook (Yes, I really always talk about food.).

One of the ladies said that she makes predominantly traditional Mexican fare.

I, in all my Mid-Western stupidity eagerness, say, "Some of the best dishes I make are Mexican!"

"Oh really," she says, probably a bit slyly now that I think about it. "What do you make?"

Well, folks, I proceed to tell her about the dish I'm about to give you the recipe for...

Let's just say, Mexicans do NOT consider ANYTHING with black beans and corn to be "Mexican." And, if you have the misfortune to call it that, they will tease you for all the days of your life.

Don't say you haven't been warned. ;)

Fiesta Chicken
I'm not sure if this is my recipe or my best friend's recipe.
We both used to make it all the time. So, I will just say it's ours.



Ingredients

-2 cans black beans, drained (not rinsed)
-1 cup frozen corn
-1 (16 oz) jar salsa (I used Medium Southwest Salsa)
-6 ounces Chicken Tenderloins (If you use breasts, cut them up or extend bake time.)
-1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
-1 egg
-2/3 cup milk
-1 roma tomato, chopped


Directions

In a large bowl, mix black beans, corn, and salsa.









Pour the bean mixture into a glass baking dish (sprayed with nonstick cooking spray). In the same large bowl, prepare the Jiffy mix per directions, except use 2/3 cups milk instead of 1/3 cups. Set aside.

Add chicken on top of bean mixture and pour cornbread batter over the casserole.

Note: If you are uncomfortable using raw chicken at this step, skillet-brown the chicken beforehand. This will also cut down on baking time.



Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover, and bake for 5 minutes or until the cornbread browns to your liking.



Top with fresh tomatoes.



I served with a salad.


There's a piece of chicken under there.

Serves 6 to 8 people.
Stats for 6 people: 384 calories per serving
Stats for 8 people: 288 calories per serving

I did these stats by hand. Next time, I will use an online recipe calculator so I can give you the carbs, fat, and protein numbers, as well. That's way too labor intensive for me to do by hand right now. he he.

Oh, and to catch you up on lunch...



The last of the Turkey Bologna on toasted whole wheat and apple slices dipped in vanilla yogurt. Green tea to drink.

Why am I focusing so much lately on recipes, calories and meal ideas? Great question! You all already know I'm trying to better my body for a future pregnancy, so I am focused on that stuff anyway. But, I also get alot of questions and emails from friends and blog readers about meal/snack ideas, low cal recipes, etc etc. So... I want to make sure I'm addressing what people actually want to read on my blog.

To that end, I'd like to give everyone an opportunity here to tell me what they'd like to see more of on my blog. Recipes? Stats (cals, carbs, protein)? Pictures of me? Pictures of hubby?

Thanks for the feedback, and for reading! I sincerely love food, nutrition, blogging, and helping people. You bring me joy every time you comment. Thank you. :)


9 comments:

  1. Yum, Fiesta Chicken looks good! I'll have to bookmark this one. Right now I have been banned from making anymore bean dishes. The husband requested I not use beans so much. I would eat them every day. I love all kinds of beans, but especially black. Apparently he's not so much of a fan and my recent vegetarian kick has brought out the inner bean in me.

    Ah well, I asked if I keep it to one or two bean dishes a week, if that would be okay. He thinks it will be fine. So I'll leave this recipe on the queue.

    Nice acknowledgement BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for stopping by my blog! I love love knowing that there are other San Diego bloggers...I've actually read your blog before, your story is so inspirational. I've been wanting to make a casserole kinda like the one you made for awhile now (I like that there's no cheese!) but I have it in the "not sure what BF will think" category so I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum yum yummmy food. I love how you're adding recipes. Hmmm. I generally just love looking at food so um, I'm gonna say food pictures? Teehee And it's cute to see you go about your daily activities. Keep writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, first visit here. That casserole looks delicious.

    I'm planning to scroll through your past posts. It looks like you have an amazing story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the recipes. It's nice to get brainstorming ideas from seeing what other people make for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had no idea that corn and beans were not considered "real" Mexican food...hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After living in Texas and eating authentic mexican food.....I can say they definitely don't have corn and black beans :)

    That looks good though! I made Taco pie last night...def not authentic but yummy! I'll make some charro beans and put the recipe up on my blog this weekend. It's pretty authentic and yummy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like reading about your food, but my favorite posts on your blog are the posts that reveal more about you--your life, hopes, and dreams.

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!