Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love is a many splendored thing...

My facebook status is currently Jasmine Myers loves love!

And I do! But... I love it everyday, not just on a Hallmark holiday.

This is going to be a quick post, as I want to spend this evening cuddling up to hubby and reading my book, The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I just finished Lost in the Forest by Sue Miller. I'll review the book at the end of this post.

We did our taxes this weekend (insert curse words here), went to the new apartment office to pay our holding deposit, had dinner with a friend, went out to dinner and a movie, and went grocery shopping. It was busy! Because of all that, my food pictures were sporadic.

I had a yummy tofu and tomato lunch this weekend.



After going grocery shopping, I came home to a surprise lunch made by hubby. It was sliced Yukan potatoes, green pepper, and chicken with a little chunky red sauce. He even took pictures. Is that cute or what?!



And, my gift to hubby was a giant heart-shaped brownie.



Review of Lost in the Forest (Sue Miller)

A true artist at her craft, Sue Miller is a master of inuendo, sexual and otherwise. Her writing focuses on complicated and oft-unexpected family dynamics. Lost in the Forest is a beautiful, yet tragic portrait of a family affected by so many contemporary issues: divorce, death, single parenthood, rape, and the problems of coming of age in a broken home and in a complicated world. 

Miller has the unique talent to interweave her characters' issues with your own world. This is the second book I've read by her, and with both books, I've had to put the book aside and pace or just breath because it hit so close to home. By placing her characters in situations that are, at the time, completely realistic and so full of moral dilemma, she demands her readers to answer one of the most difficult questions of all: What would you do in this situation?

Just as there's no easy answers in life, there's no easy resolutions in the world of Sue Miller's characters. I implore you: read Sue Miller!

lol... I just gave you guys my real "writer voice," didn't I?

I hope you all had an amazing Valentine's Day weekend and that you use this day to energize your relationships all year long. Love is the fuel. Keep the fire burning. :)

xoxo
-Jasmine

Question for the women...
What (if anything) did you buy your man for Valentine's Day?





8 comments:

  1. I loved Handmaid's Tale. Margaret Atwood is such an awesome writer, and I'm a bit partial to CanLit. I'm reading The Year of the Flood right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brownie looks amazing. You've got one lucky husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta try that salad! Hubs and I don't celebrate V-Day since our anniversary is at the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, what a sweet hubby you have. I love the brownie!!! Yum yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm that food is no joke! looks so good.

    well m and i have been working on things and its strange what happens to make you closer. we've realized that now. i got him the new HD Zune and he is in LOVE with it lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't really buy anything - but I made him eggs benedict, his favorite breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That heart-shaped brownie looks heavenly! I've been planning to check out Sue Miller's work. Glad you had a great Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well since this is my first V-day in a while with a new man I had to spice it up! My first ever piece of sexy clothing, a book, a picture frame with a picture of us in it (cheesy I agree) and some HIS/HERS for fun :) Did we use any of the purchased gifts is an entire new topic of discussion.
    <3 Shannon

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!