Thursday, June 11, 2009

Zucchini Muffins



So, our good friend Jess is still staying with us here in SD. She is an avid lover of Zucchini, and I make a MEAN Zucchini Muffin if I do say so myself. (Thus far, I've had to say so myself, considering I can't get the boys in my house to eat them - sigh.)

Here's the recipe and the stats below. The picture isn't mine. I borrowed it from google. Maybe I'll start posting real pictures, considering Jess has been taking pictures of my food all week. Apparently I make beautiful dinners. Or, maybe its just all that love I put into it shining through. :)

Note on the muffins, I HATE to measure ANYthing, and that's the great thing about muffins: You pretty much can't go wrong. I love it. I've adapted this recipe over time. Originally I may have stolen it from Sparkpeople, but I've changed alot. Adding applesauce and cinnamon, etc. You can also very easily adapt this recipe to make other kinds of muffins. I use this same recipe to make banana-walnut muffins.

Jasmine's Zucchini Muffins

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 grated zucchini
1/4 cup splenda brown sugar blend
1 large egg
1/2 cup (unsweetened) applesauce
1 tbsp cinnamon


Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin pan or line with paper muffin liners.
In medium bowl, mix all ingredients. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool before serving.

Makes 12 Servings

Calories 66.9
Total Fat 0.6 g
Saturated Fat 0.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 17.7 mg
Sodium 180.0 mg
Potassium 24.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
Sugars 5.0 g
Protein 1.9 g

Pair a muffin (or two, depending on your intake) with a banana and a glass of low fat milk and you've got yourself a yummy, balanced breakfast that includes a whole grain, a vegetable, a fruit and a dairy.

P.S. Just a quick note on the concept of "balance." It's more than a word. It's my philosophy and my lifestyle, and it's also real life. Nothing is off limits, nothing is restricted and nothing is bad. Why? Because that's not reality, not really. Not for real people. Our bodies are a reflection of the world around us, things come and go, people gain and lose. We succeed, we fail, and we probably do both on a daily basis. The world is in equilibrium, as should we be. Balance. Breath. Balance. Breath.

xoxo - j

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog...very cool! I'll keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...my...GOSH! I'm dyin' for this right now! Salivating and all. I've never heard of zucchini muffins, only zucchini bread. Yum to both!

    (your transformation is amazing!)

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!