Saturday, March 27, 2010

Pita Pizzas

I loved today.

Ryan and I went to Casual Male XL to get him a couple much-needed shirts and a pair of shorts. He's very tall and muscular, so buying clothes, shoes, even basics like socks can be extremely challenging on good days, frustrating on bad ones. Shirts are always too tight on his biceps. Dress shirts are too tight on his neck, so on and so forth. It's also very very expensive. Try buying a pair of Size 15 shoes for less than about 75 bucks. It's hard.

After that, we strolled around Best Buy, hit up Starbucks (I'm a junky!), and returned some books at the library. To boot, it was a beautiful California day. I love it!

We got home around 3 or so. I called up my girl, JGago, as I call her, and we went grocery shopping. I didn't think about saving my receipts so I could give you guys a list, but we'll just say I got a bunch of stuff. :D

One of those great things was whole wheat pita bread.


I knew I already had a can of Hunts Sauce, so it had been on my mind to make pita pizzas, anyway. The Hunts is for Ryan. I prefer pesto.





The thing about pesto is that you need to go pretty easy on it. It's seriously caloric. I mean seriously.







Ryan's pizzas had turkey sausage on them. He prefers pepperoni, but I couldn't find it at the store. Boo! Mine had black peppered tofu.





I also chopped up some romaine that I bought at the market today. We eat salads almost every day throughout the week, but I chop it all on the weekend. The secret to keeping your salad fresh all week is paper towels and layering.

How to Keep Salad Fresh All Week

First, layer a papertowel on the bottom of your plastic bag (or container).



Chop your lettuce and add another paper towel half-way through.




Three romaine heads makes a whole bag, plus two salads. I found what appears to be heirloom grape tomatoes at the market, although they said they were cherry tomatoes. When Ryan saw them in his salad, he was like, what are these?!?





I love how everything on the pizzas was either pre-cooked or a non-issue (tofu). These finished baking in the time it took to chop the salad. 

 

I topped my pizza with slivered almonds when it came out.








While I wrote this post, Ryan did all the dishes! Yay! I love today! :D

Tomorrow is a heavy writing day for me, so I'll have to catch you guys on Monday. If I get to it, I plan to add a recipes section to the blog. Coming soon, for sure. xoxo

~~~Playtime~~~~

Healthy Lifestyle Quiz

Do you take a daily multi-vitamin?
How many days per week do you exercise?
Do you enjoy baking?
Do you get a flu shot every winter?
How much television do you watch?
Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day?

(My answers below.)


P.S. Check out my friend Betty Jo's blog. She's a great cook and an absolutely amazing mom. She posts recipes for those of you who like to cook.






12 comments:

  1. Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? Yes, a prenatal :D
    How many days per week do you exercise? I aim for 7, actually, but lately it's been 4-5 if I'm lucky
    Do you enjoy baking? No. I hate to follow directions and that gets me in trouble pretty much every single time
    Do you get a flu shot every winter? No, although I did get the swine flu shot because it was free
    How much television do you watch? Very little. Mostly I watch sports because it's nearly always on.
    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? Oh goodness no. Everyday? Do people really do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? Yes I do. The Flinstone's kind :) They need to make a yummy adult chewable vitamin.

    How many days per week do you exercise? Most during the week, I get up and jog/walk on the treadmill. On the weekends I try to do exercise with the kids...hiking, ice skating, etc. Tomorrow we are going to this place that has rock climbing and playground equipment and exercise equipment for the adults!

    Do you enjoy baking? Not so much, but I force myself to do it. I LOVE cooking though.

    Do you get a flu shot every winter? Yes...and I make my children too.

    How much television do you watch? Not very much. Maybe at the most an hour on the weekday nights and a movie on the weekends. Usually it's just on while I'm doing other things.

    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? um...no. I vacuum a couple of times per week but normally not more than 3.

    The pita pizzas look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, thanks for recommending my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm pita pizzas. So easy and delish! Hooray for groceries! Can't wait to start cooking tomorrow. Btw, my spaghetti was good.

    Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? Nope.

    How many days per week do you exercise? Depends. At least one :)

    Do you enjoy baking? When what I bake turns out right!

    Do you get a flu shot every winter? Haven't gotten one since I was a kid.

    How much television do you watch? None, no cable.

    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? Nope. I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? YES, always.

    How many days per week do you exercise? I take pretty long walks everyday, but other than that, no.

    Do you enjoy baking? Sometimes.

    Do you get a flu shot every winter? No. I take herbal remedies instead.

    How much television do you watch? Not that much.

    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? No way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you had a great day! i love pita pizzas.
    my answers:
    Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? yes
    How many days per week do you exercise? i take a walk everyday.
    Do you enjoy baking? rarely.
    Do you get a flu shot every winter? no.
    How much television do you watch? too much.
    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? no!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thing I love the most about your blog is that you're not afraid to eat! That pizza looks yummy! I've gotta grab pesto. I've never cooked w/ it :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and I feel your Casual Male pain. My lil' brother's 17 and 6'9". He wear's a size 16 in sneakers!! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the pita idea - we always have used english muffins! also thank you for the salad tip!

    Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? no, but i know i should!
    How many days per week do you exercise? um...1 maybe? i'm so bad, im just so tired after working all day! but the couch to 5k plan, now that im over the gastroenteritis, starts this wed!
    Do you enjoy baking? yes, very much!
    Do you get a flu shot every winter? no
    How much television do you watch? about 3 hours/day - while im blogging, etc...bad!
    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? no, i try to sweep every couple days and vac once a week...is that not enough?? i have a complex now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? Yes

    How many days per week do you exercise? 2-4, depending on the week, however, I don't feel bad if I don't exercise, as I'm very active on the farm.

    Do you enjoy baking? Baking is good when it turns out!

    Do you get a flu shot every winter? Yes, also got H1N1 shot this year.

    How much television do you watch? 1-2 hrs per night.

    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? No! Sweep kitchen every 3 days, swiffer house once every other week, vaccum stairs every other week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just read your answers, are you pregnant?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you take a daily multi-vitamin? No, I am REALLY bad about this.

    How many days per week do you exercise? Depends on the week. 4 days on a good week. 2 if I am barely scrapping by.

    Do you enjoy baking? LOVE!

    Do you get a flu shot every winter? Never have, never will.

    How much television do you watch? Well at night it is on but I never pay attention. It is on right now...ummm what is this, LOST? Yeah never watch this show. Background noise!

    Do you run the vacuum (or sweep) your floors every day? Every other for sure. I have three dogs and am a bit of a neat freak fanatic.

    <3 S

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!