Monday, August 3, 2009

Challenge Veggie Recap and a Green Monstress

So far, our challenge vegetables are as follows.

CABBAGE
Picked by: ME
Nutrients of Note: Vitamin K & Vitamin C

ASPARAGUS
Picked by: Taylor of Joy of Food
Nutrients of Note: Folate, Potassium, Fiber, Vitamin B6, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Thiamin
Asparagus stalks are also quite high in antioxidants.
(Incidentally, am I the only one who thinks of Brian from the old TV series, ALF, when I hear the word Asparagus?...)

HEARTS OF PALM
Picked by: Emily of A Nutritionist Eats
Nutrients of Note: Potassium & Vitamin B6

*Info courtesy of Wikipedia.

Be sure to visit Taylor and Emily's blogs to check out how they incorporate their challenge veggies into their week. Keep those Challenge Veggies coming!!!

If you want to be included in the list of Challenge Veggies this week, please let me know your veggie pick, be sure to post about it and link back. You can post here or on the original post. Or, email me. Whatever works.

Ok, so, how was your day? Mine was productive. I got most of my To Do list accomplished, which is always a good way to start off a week.

I kicked off my day with my version of a Green Monster. Mine is a little less hefty without the grass everybody uses. And so, I present to you my own shaky version:



THE GREEN MONSTRESS

Photobucket
-Spinach
-Banana
-1 Tbsp Natural Crunch PB
-Plain Silk

This was so filling that I couldn't finish it. I had the rest with my snack of pretzels. I left out my watermelon yogurt for today.

Lunch was delicious. Truly. I spread hummus over two halves of a whole wheat english muffin and topped each with black forest ham and pepperjack cheese. I toasted it for 10 minutes. To die for.




Photobucket
Photobucket

Served with steamed broccoli.




Photobucket

Dessert:




Photobucket

Around 3pm, I had honey oikos, 1/4 cup Pumpkin Flax and blackberries as big as my head. Okay, not quite, but ya know...




Photobucket

Consumed while diligently workie working.




Photobucket

Hubby and I hit the gym after he got home from work. I struggled (really bad) through 2 miles, walked 1/4 mile, ran another mile and cooled down for another 1/4 mile. I did upper body weights and that's all folks.

When we got home, I made amazing Chicken Caesar Salad Wraps, which I ate completely before realizing I hadn't pictured it!!! So sorry you missed my wrap. It was brilliant.

Here is the not so stunning filling...




Photobucket

I'm currently eating a yummy raspberry popsicle, while hubby watches Making His Band. I'm about to go curl up at his side with my book. Right after I give you tomorrow's menu.........

Tuesday's Menu

Breakfast
Oatmeal w/Soy Milk and Blackberries as big as my head

Mid-Morning
Dannon Watermelon Yogurt and Grapes

Lunch
Leftover Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap and fig newtons

Mid-Afternoon
1 slice Ezekiel Cinnamon-Raisin bread w/Natural Crunch Peanut Butter and a small Banana

Dinner
Hubby in the Kitchen -- Stay Tuned!!!

Night night friends...

==

8 comments:

  1. I picked asparagus too! (see post from yesterday ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is avocado a fruit or a vegetable? I have always thought it was a vegetable. Either way, I need to make it more present in my diet so that's my choice for the challenge! Hooray for omegas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummus, ham and cheese, great combo. Can't wait to see Tuesday's wrap, don't forget the pic. ;-)

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is just something about ham and cheese....so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. melted pepperjack = heaven. nuff' said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pepperjack! I´m so impressed that you plan meals ahead. I need to get more organized in that respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excuse me, when did dannon start making watermelon yogurt? And that's news to me, I thought you hated Dannon? Or wait, maybe that was yoplait? I get confused.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Everything looks so good today! I am loving the huge blackberries!

    Looking forward to Hubby in the Kitchen! Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete

I heart comments!